Wednesday, January 12, 2011

already longing...


Still January

the plants on the window sill
are dull
their pale leaves
despair
the wan winter light

seashells
lie there too
hard, round circles of
hope
and sweet memory
of a far away season

Can it just stop being winter already?
I have chilblains on two of my toes. It is my fault that I do, I know. Someone stole my good, winter hiking shoes off my front porch--sheesh! Seriously! And I have been hiking for the past two weeks wearing winter socks with summer shoes. Bad Julia. So, the toes are angry. Never fear though, relief is coming. I got a new pair of Keen boots--oh beauty in brown and tan. They are wide and warm and will protect my poor little piggies. And from years of chilblains in this blasted country (which has such issues with denial about how cold it actually is in Winter and what measures should be taken to insure that houses are not the same temp as the out of doors). It is highly unlikely that anyone who reads this will ever need to know this, but OTC sore muscle rub (like Ben Gay) works wonders. Thought I'd share.

2 comments:

  1. I love these small white shells. I remember trying to get them home in one piece. They were so brittle, they rarely made it. I wish I could wander along Aoshima Beach again and rescue a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Ben Gay use for Chilblains tip!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails