Thursday, June 9, 2011

taking a moment

last night i stopped for a moment. i watched a pair of bats swirling and swinging, snatching their dinners out of the dusky sky.

yesterday afternoon i stopped for a moment and stood on the stairs by the faculty car park. i breathed in the smell of the cows (no eewwws please--as odd as it may sound they are a childhood comfort smell for me) and closed my eyes, closed my mind where it tries to tendril off toward work and responsibilities and just listened to the warbles and trills and the wind in the leaves.

right now i am taking a moment. listening to "running up that hill" and writing this. thinking about the inspiring words i just read.

too much of my day is spent behind a desk, in meetings, classrooms--talking, preparing, doing chores when i would rather be elsewhere. i am not whining. i need to work. i like my students. i love teaching. i just forget the big picture--i lose it among all the little nasty jobs that need to get done. i need to remember to take a moment and breathe, pull back and remember other things that are just as important as "making a living".  I want to make a life, live well--not just go through my day as I "make a living".

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post - and thanks for the link ;-) I am touched that my words inspired you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way so many times. Mostly when I'm at home chasing after the kids. I get distracted by the annoyances of the little tasks and miss the fact that there is joy sprinkled in as well.

    Thank you for the lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails