Tuesday, August 10, 2010

creepy crawly love


Shuji was looking out the window at the downpour of rain we had the other day. I was finishing up the dishes and suddenly he tells me to grab the camera--"Quick! There is something out on the porch." (That was a little scary, but I figured it couldn't be too dangerous since we were hurrying out to see it--not running from it or calling the police/animal control or something.)

This is what he spotted and I snapped pictures of:
It is a cicada trying to dry its wings after having just crawled out of the ground and emerging from its non-winged state. Its body is still translucent. I had never seen one that was still clinging to its former skin.
You may be grossed out--but I thought it was very cool.

I know the photos are not great, but that is not the point.

The point is that Shuji doesn't really like insects. He is not fascinated by them in the way I am because he has seen these since he was a kid and has a very "been there, done that" blase attitude toward the creepy crawlies of Japan. He does however know that I find them very intriguing and love to take their photos. I was touched that he would come running to tell me and because I know that he did it to make me happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails