Saturday, August 28, 2010

Channeling--who would you?

Channeling
a term used in reference to the claimed process of receiving messages or inspiration from invisible beings or spirits.--from Wikipedia, the *only* place to go to get info these days (or so my students think).

I like the idea of channeling--or at least its modern version which is more like a cool way to say "she is my role model." Channeling sounds so much more sophisticated and grown-up.

Looking through other people's blogs of late I have seen the word "channeling" used fairly often. It made me think a bit about who I would "channel" as I saw the choices of others: Lucille Ball, Mrs. Cleaver, Sara Jessica Parker--or at least Carrie Bradshaw.

So, who would I channel? (ah--the chance for another list!)

My paternal grandmother--I channel her tolerance and love for her family and acceptance of the many changes life springs on us. In her ninety-some years she saw her own mother pass, her kids grow up, marry, divorce, fight, come out, struggle with financial problems and addiction. Every day, she inspires me to not take sides or hold grudges and to try to gracefully roll with the punches as they come.

My maternal grandmother--I channel her for her power and her fashion sense. She is still on the earth (bless her in her nineties) but I can still channel her and do every time I face a difficult decision by asking myself "What would Ina do?" Of course I have to take care channeling such a strong personality with whom I share my genes. Tough can be hard on the loved ones who surround us, so I try to balance the inspiration I derive between both of my grandmothers.

My cousin (actually my father's cousin--but whatever) M. I have only met her a handful of times. She was one of my "role-models" when I was in college and had--although she may not know it--a huge impact on my decision to come to Japan. Early in her marriage she lived in Malaysia with her husband. I heard vague stories about adventures she had including fighting off snakes in the house gardens and climbing mountains. I remember thinking "If she can do it--this cousin of my father--then *I* can too." And I did. She too has had an interesting and varied experience in this life--adopting two girls from Hong Kong, divorce, a non-self-serving career, embracing her sexuality after 50. And this most recent transformation into an almost ascetic life speaks to me of the potential for women to continue to discover their inner layers until our last breath on this earth.

My last "channel" is also a living person and not a woman. A man I used to work with offers great loads of inspiration in the way he deals with people and the trials that have been thrown at his family. My friend T. is a good, kind, considerate person and a great Dad. Last year his little boy was diagnosed with leukemia and in spite of months spent sleeping at the hospital and having to work two jobs to support his family, T. managed to remain upbeat and in communication with his far-flung family and friends. He helped his beautiful, young boy to beat this terrifying illness and did it in a country that is far from home. I admire his flexibility, solidness and steadiness. When I think I am too tired to email, or phone, I think of him and am ashamed.

So, that is my short list of who I would channel. There are countless other people whom I admire and want to be like. Who would you channel and why? Worth a thought eh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails